Is it difficult to take the subway in Shenzhen
Posted by: Maria
Date: November 11, 2015 08:31PM

I'm about to coming to Shenzhen for working this winter. In terms of transportation, is it difficult to take the bus and Subway in Shenzhen for a foreigner who just has very basic notions of chinese.

Thanks

Re: Is it difficult to take the subway in Shenzhen
Date: November 11, 2015 08:40PM

Hi,

Welcome to the forum and soon welcome to Shenzhen.

Tranportation is quite easy in the subway. On the subway maps, there are names in chinese characters as well as romanized names. Moreover, announcements in the subway are both in Chinese and English, as well as the machines for buying tickets or putting money in your subway card. Thus, I would not worry about taking the subway in Shenzhen.

For the bus, it is a little bit more complicated since schedule at bus stops are only in chinese.

Best,

Philippe

Posted by: Jude
Date: February 10, 2016 01:01AM

It is actually quite easy getting around in Shenzhen even if you have basic chinese. DON't worry bout that!

Jude

Posted by: Julie
Date: February 27, 2017 05:54PM

Yes, taking the Subway in Shenzhen is quite easy. You can always ask for some help if you worry about it. There should be some people who can at least understand a few English words around.

Date: February 28, 2017 07:14AM

There is a free app for the SZ subway that you can download on your phone.

Posted by: Hank
Date: March 01, 2017 03:46AM

Yes, taking the Subway is not that hard in Shenzhen. The first time I took it I went the wrong direction thought but it was my fault as I didn't check the map carefully. winking smiley

For the the bus though, it is more complicated. The best is to use some map on the cellphone such as AMAP and then plan the trip and it shows which bus or Subway to take. It requires to get familiar with Chinese thought. But since we are in Shenzhen, we must learn it. So I say don't worry about it to anyone coming here. It is not very hard to get around in Shenzhen.

Hank

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.