The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data science journal data mining conferences iea aie 2020
This forum is about data mining, data science and big data: algorithms, source code, datasets, implementations, optimizations, etc. You are welcome to post call for papers, data mining job ads, link to source code of data mining algorithms or anything else related to data mining. The forum is hosted by P. Fournier-Viger. No registration is required to use this forum!.  
Difference between "Forward/Backward extension checking" and "Closure jumping"
Posted by: solmaz
Date: February 07, 2020 08:32PM

Hello, Prof. Philippe Fournier-Viger.

Thank you for taking the trouble to help me for previous questions. I do appreciate it.

In paper Efim-Closed, for find closed high utility itemsets mining, used of two methods

Forward/Backward extension checking:
To determine if an itemset X is closed, check if there exists an item not in X that appears in all transactions where X appears. If yes, then X is not closed

Closure jumping:
For an itemset X, if all items not in X that can be appended to X have the same support as X, they can be directly appended to X to obtain a closed itemset.

I understand method "Forward/Backward", but I don't understand method "Closure jumping". Can you give an example? what's the difference?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Difference between "Forward/Backward extension checking" and "Closure jumping"
Date: February 07, 2020 08:51PM

Hi,

You have understand the main idea about forward/backward checking.

For closure jumping, the idea is not complicated. It is as follows. Let say that you have this database:

A B C D F
A C D F
A C D E F
A E

You can count the support of the items:

A = 4
B = 1
C = 3
D = 3
E = 2
F = 3

Since C, D and F have the same support, it means that they always appears together, and thus we can directly say that {C,D,F} is a closed itemset. It is unecessary to check the itemset {CD} {DF} and {CF} because they will not be closed. So using this technique we "jump" directly to {C,D,F} and output it as a closed itemset which will save some time.

You can apply this technique on the input database or in any projected database.

Best regards,

Philippe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 08:52PM by webmasterphilfv.

Re: Difference between "Forward/Backward extension checking" and "Closure jumping"
Posted by: solmaz
Date: February 07, 2020 10:16PM

Thanks for your complete and accurate description

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.