The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software open-source data mining software data science journal data mining conferences
This forum is about data mining, data science and big data: algorithms, source code, datasets, implementations, optimizations, etc. You are welcome to post call for papers, data mining job ads, link to source code of data mining algorithms or anything else related to data mining. The forum is hosted by P. Fournier-Viger. No registration is required to use this forum!.  
horizontal and vertical database representation
Posted by: jbd
Date: January 14, 2020 12:45PM

Hello, I have a question, please.
As we know, we have horizontal and vertical database representation in the domain of sequential pattern mining. My specific question: Are database projection algorithms considered within the category of horizontal database representation or is it considered as a third category?
Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: horizontal and vertical database representation
Date: January 14, 2020 02:59PM

Good morning,

An algorithm like PrefixSpan uses an horizontal database and do database projections. PrefixSpan is said to use a "pattern growth" approach.

For me, I categorize the algorithms as follows:

PrefixSpan: Horizontal database, pattern-growth, database projection, do a depth-first search
CM-SPADE and SPAM: Vertical database encoded as bitvectors, generate candidates, do a depth-first search
GSP: Vertical database, generate candidates, do a breadth first search
FreeSpan: patterngrowth, horizontal database I think... and probably also do database projection but I dont remember
and there are other algorithms.

If you did not read my survey of sequential pattern mining, it gives some good overview.

Best regards,

Posted by: jbd
Date: January 15, 2020 01:09AM

Good morning,

Thank you for this explanation.

I believe that you meant to mention that GSP uses a horizontal database representation as it is mentioned in your survey.

Best regards,

Date: January 15, 2020 02:17AM

Hi, you are welcome. Yes, I think I made a mistake ;-)

Best regards,

Philippe

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.