The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data science journal data mining conferences high utility mining workshop
This forum is about data mining, data science and big data: algorithms, source code, datasets, implementations, optimizations, etc. You are welcome to post call for papers, data mining job ads, link to source code of data mining algorithms or anything else related to data mining. The forum is hosted by P. Fournier-Viger. No registration is required to use this forum!.  
Clarification on dense and sparse datasets
Posted by: huyhuynh
Date: March 21, 2018 05:44PM

Hello everyone,

Can anyone explain how to determine a dataset as dense or sparse (for both sequential patterns and itemsets)? Which parameters will affect the density or sparsity ?
I'm trying to figure out but it seems that I haven't found any paper that actually gives a clear explanation? If there really is, can someone point out the papers for me?
Regarding the datasets on SPMF site, which are dense or sparse?

Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2018 06:11AM by huyhuynh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clarification on dense and sparse datasets
Posted by: Dang Nguyen
Date: March 22, 2018 03:06PM

Hi Huy,

In general, a dense dataset means its transactions differ only for a very few items.

For more details, you can check out this paper to see how to determine a dataset is sparse or dense.
"Statistical Properties of Transactional Databases"

Cheers,
Dang

Re: Clarification on dense and sparse datasets
Posted by: huyhuynh
Date: March 22, 2018 04:40PM

Dear Mr.Dang,

Thanks for pointing this out for me. I will go check the paper now.

Huy.

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.