The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data science journal data mining conferences high utility mining book
This forum is about data mining, data science and big data: algorithms, source code, datasets, implementations, optimizations, etc. You are welcome to post call for papers, data mining job ads, link to source code of data mining algorithms or anything else related to data mining. The forum is hosted by P. Fournier-Viger. No registration is required to use this forum!.  
Limitations of the EFIM algorithm (high utility mining)
Posted by: kirti
Date: March 16, 2017 01:14AM

What are the limitations of the EFIM algorithm?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 01:35AM by webmasterphilfv.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EFIM algorithm
Date: March 16, 2017 01:33AM

As pointed out in the journal paper about EFIM published in KAIS:
- EFIM is hard to beat in terms of memory usage for high utility itemset mining
- It is also hard to beat EFIM for dense datasets
- But for sparse datasets, EFIM is not always the fastest.
So, a limitation could be that it is not always the fastest on sparse datasets.

In data mining a lot of researchers focus on the speed of algorithms. But performance is not everything. Actually, features offered by an algorithm are probably more important for users than speed. There are a lot of additional features that could be added to EFIM.
- For example, it would be possible to modify EFIM to use length constraints (as in the FHM+ paper, where length constraints allows to further reduce the search space using some new properties).
- It would be possible to make a version of EFIM for items with negative utility, an incremental version of EFIM, a version of EFIM for on-shelf high utility itemset mining etc.
Actually, many ideas could be combined with EFIM to make some new algorithms with more features.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 01:42AM by webmasterphilfv.

Posted by: xiaoao
Date: March 23, 2017 10:50PM

Do you have the C# code of EFIM? I need it for my research thesis.

Date: March 24, 2017 06:44AM

You can get the Java code of EFIM in the SPMF data mining library.

I do not know any C# version yet. If someone implements it in C#, then please share it.

IMPROVED EFIM ALGORITHM
Posted by: Shamna. K.K
Date: September 16, 2017 07:51AM

Please suggest any modification for the algorithm

Re: IMPROVED EFIM ALGORITHM
Date: September 16, 2017 07:02PM

You could modify EFIM to mine correlated high utility itemsets, similar to this:

Fournier-Viger, P., Lin, C. W., Dinh, T., Le, H. B. (2016). Mining Correlated High-Utility Itemsets Using the Bond Measure. Proc. 11 th International Conference on Hybrid Artificial Intelligence Systems (HAIS 2016), Springer LNAI, pp.53-65

You could modify EFIM to mine minimal high utility itemsets, similar to this:

Fournier-Viger, P., Lin, C.W., Wu, C.-W., Tseng, V. S., Faghihi, U. (2016). Mining Minimal High-Utility Itemsets. Proc. 27th International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 2016). Springer, LNCS, pp. 88-101.

You could modify EFIM to mine periodic high utility itemsets, by taking inspiration from this:

Fournier-Viger, P., Lin, C.W., Duong, Q.-H., Dam, T.-L. (2016). PHM: Mining Periodic High-Utility Itemsets. Proc. 16th Industrial Conference on Data Mining. Springer LNAI 9728, pp. 64-79

You could modify EFIM to mine high utility itemsets in uncertain data by taking inspiration from this:

Lin, J. C.-W., Gan, W., Fournier-Viger, P., Hong, T.-P., Tseng, V. S. (2016). Efficiently Mining Uncertain High-Utility Itemsets. Soft Computing, Springer, 21:2801�2820.

This is a few project ideas. SHould not be too hard to do.

Reconfused smileyource code of EFIM for utility itemset mining with FHM+ length constraint
Posted by: Shamna. K.K
Date: September 21, 2017 02:22AM

Hi,
I am doing M.tech.My project is in high utility item set mining,Please help me to alter EFIM algorithm with length constarint(used in FHM+ algorithm).Please send it to my email id :shamnahakheemvp@gmail.com

EFIM CLOSED
Posted by: HAKIM
Date: September 21, 2017 03:21AM

What is the detailed concept of closed EFIM algorithm. Advantage over EFIM?

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.