The Artificial Intelligence Forum                             data mining forum
This forum is to discuss artificial intelligence. You can ask anything about artificial intelligence : science-fiction, robots, consciousness, movies and so on! Also, you can discuss anything related to implementing artificial intelligence in machines such as programming, algorithms, etc. No registration is required!  
Let's Talk About Efficiency
Posted by: David J Garrett
Date: June 14, 2021 09:36AM

Yes, we may be able to rival the raw computational output of the human brain today (for a few key comparisons, see the tl;dr in this thread) -- but can we do it efficiently?

"The human brain uses only about 40 Watts of power when it's awake. That's comparable to the power consumed by a lightbulb. Meanwhile, my newly-built $1500 custom desktop PC's power supply can supply about 750W. A typical microwave oven uses 900W or more; a refrigerator uses in the same ballpark."

--From my blog

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Let's Talk About Efficiency
Posted by: akadjg
Date: June 14, 2021 09:39AM

As a note on the 40-watts statistic -- there is some evidence to indicate that the human brain's power consumption can vary. I read something that suggested that chess players can consume 5000 to 6000 calories a day when competing.

Options: ReplyQuote

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.