The Artificial Intelligence Forum                             data mining forum
This forum is to discuss artificial intelligence. You can ask anything about artificial intelligence : science-fiction, robots, consciousness, movies and so on! Also, you can discuss anything related to implementing artificial intelligence in machines such as programming, algorithms, etc. No registration is required!  
Is the IBM WATSON computer really intelligent?
Posted by: Clark
Date: February 25, 2011 11:48PM

Hi,

I have seen the IBM WATSON machine playing the Jeopardy game on TV. Personnally, I don't think that WATSON is really smart.

Despite that many people say that it is a breaktrough for artificial intelligence, it rather seems that WATSON is just using a statistical approach. Therefore, I don't think that WATSON is not really "intelligent".

What do you guys think about that?

Clark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is the IBM WATSON computer really intelligent?
Posted by: Mathias
Date: March 01, 2011 07:43PM

Watson can play Jeopardy. But so what? Just like many artificial intelligence programs, he is specialized for a very specific task. Watson is good at Jeopardy but it cannot do anything else.

Beside that I wonder what are the real contributions of the work on Watson? Does the researchers at IBM have published any scientific papers on this topic or have they just reused some old ideas?

For me, it seems like Watson is just an ad for IBM to get a few headlines in the newspaper. Nothing more. It is the same thing as Deep Blue...

Math

Re: Is the IBM WATSON computer really intelligent?
Posted by: Symboldrive
Date: March 29, 2011 08:47PM

If I can Watson to cook me a sandwich, and he do it, I will say that he is smart!

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.