The Artificial Intelligence Forum                             data mining forum
This forum is to discuss artificial intelligence. You can ask anything about artificial intelligence : science-fiction, robots, consciousness, movies and so on! Also, you can discuss anything related to implementing artificial intelligence in machines such as programming, algorithms, etc. No registration is required!  
Can a machine be conscious?
Posted by: Johnson
Date: February 15, 2009 12:59PM

Can a machine be conscious?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a machine be conscious?
Posted by: Peter
Date: February 18, 2009 07:11AM

It depends on the meaning of "consciousness". This is a concept that is very hard to define. Perhaps that a machine can seems conscious from the outside (e.g. pass the Turing test). However, is it really conscious? If the goal is to build a human-like intelligence, researchers seems currently very far from achieving this goal. In fact, a computer and a brain are two very different kind of systems. The computer is a serial machine and a brain is a biological system.

Posted by: Terrence
Date: January 29, 2010 05:12AM

Hello,

Just my opinion: I think it will perhaps be possible with quantum computers, when we design new algorithms for computing.

I think we can see the brain as a big computer. When the computer will become much faster, I think it can become a reality.

But it will open many ethic questions. Can we shut down a conscious machine? :-P

Terrence

Posted by: Omer
Date: July 20, 2013 11:04AM

i agree with you Terence that if we could have faster computer perhaps we can have conscious machine one day . and for the ethic only if the machine became a Mad like human therefore we should shut it down grinning smiley

it's all about logic & keep it simple always

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.